Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Eating out for under 600 calories

Tonight we went out to eat at Azteca. Mexican food is infamous for being unhealthy, but surprisingly this is my go-to place when I want to eat out while watching what I eat.

Rule 1-refuse the basket of amazing freshly fried chips that they bring to your table without asking. 

Rule 2-ask for water with lemon to drink. For me, the lemon makes it feel like a step above eating at home so I feel less deprived not ordering a drink. 

Rule 3-ask for a nutrition menu! Your guess at what will be best is never what is actually the lowest calories. 

Rule 4-get the rice and beans substituted out for steamed veggies. I LOVE the steamed veggies they serve at Azteca, it's a great mix and cooked just the right amount! And say no to the tortillas, but keep the guacamole, that's healthy fat 👍

So I got the Steak Mexicano. It's grilled steak, green peppers and onions sautéed in zesty Azteca salsa! The PolloMexicano is great too (same thing with chicken). 



No comments:

Post a Comment